Saturday, July 15, 2017

Cpt. Caveman's TTM Autographs #105



Welcome back to another weekly TTM success post. I guess by now most everyone has heard about the great Dak Prescott autopen mystery but for those of you that haven't. Some of the new Panini Prizm Dak Prescott autographed football cards the kind collectors love pulling from card packs or the ones they can get through redemption cards have reportedly been signed by an autopen machine. Now Dak and his management put out a statement saying they have no clue how this happened after Beckett Grading helped shed light on the problem and is currently refusing to authenticate them. So because of the autopen discovery Panini has now recalled the bad cards and is reissuing new signed cards. They even announced that they have extended the exclusive contract they had with Dak. This brings up something I've always thought about. Are those pulled autograph cards authentic? I have alot of autograph cards in my collection that I've either pulled from packs and hobby box's or purchased and like many other collectors just assumed that the signatures have to be 100% authentic. Right? I mean don't most come with a handy dandy COA from the card company printed right on the backs of the cards stating congratulations you just received an authentic autograph and usually states they were signed in the presence of a company representative or someone else? So how could autopen signatures get on the cards? Was it Dak's people? Was it Panini? Was it possibly a disgruntled Tony Romo fan with a grudge against Dak? lol, Probably not. Unfortunately we may never know but at least Panini is resolving the problem. This isn't the first time something like this has happened either. Along with autopen autographs I've also seen reports in the past that some celebs or athletes have had other people sign the cards for them and even some of those historical cuts autographs the ones with legends like Babe Ruth or former Presidents and historical figures have also had non authentic signatures like the Lindberg cut card not to long ago. Now I love to study signatures and I've compared my pulled signed cards with authentic examples usually as soon as I pull them or before I purchased one and luckily I have never had this problem but with card companies putting more and more signed cards out every year and the huge amounts of money being made I can see it becoming a huge problem in the future if left unchecked and hopefully card companies will crack down on the standards for how athletes and celebs sign the cards us fans and collectors spend big money for. Now on to this weeks TTM successes. Thursday brought the first and only return of the week when we received a nice signed 5x7 from Dire Straits bassist and legendary musician John Illsley and it only took twenty days after I sent a request on his website. That's all for this week I guess ones better than none lol. Have a great weekend and I'll be back next week with more TTM autographs and addresses.



*
-
John Illsley
-
*










Follow Cpt. Caveman's TTM Autographs on Facebook to see our TTM successes the day they return
or follow me on twitter @cavewv


No comments:

Post a Comment