Saturday, July 23, 2016

Cpt. Caveman's TTM Autographs #54

-
Welcome back to another weekly TTM success post. Every Saturday we share our TTM successes that we've received through out the week and when possible the addresses we used. This week I thought I'd talk a little about protecting your collection. Now way back when I first started seriously collecting I matted and framed alot of my collection. After I ran out of wall space I decided it was probably best to take them down and put them in binders to better protect them and keep them out of the harmful sunlight. So now how I store my collection is I put my autographs in PVC and acid free photo pages either 4x6 photo pages that hold multiple photos or in the larger protectors for 8x10's and larger items. You can find these at any hobby store. IV bought them at WalMart and off Amazon also. UltraPro makes all different sizes of PVC/Acid Free protectors for cards, pictures and magazines. I try to avoid the cheaper thinner page protectors. Chances are they're not acid or PVC free. It's worth a little extra money for the piece of mind that your autographs are safe. When possible and for the rarer pieces I also use acid free backing boards like the ones used for comic books. Then they all go into sturdy heavy duty binders for storage and protection. I still have a few pieces to large for any binders like cast signed posters and a few larger pictures and album's. For those I still matt and frame. The main thing is not to frame the autograph pressing against the glass of the frame. This can damage the autographs over time, the pictures or inks can adhere to the glass. Iv heard that the Plexiglas type frame like those you can buy for posters are safer than actual glass but I still like to add protection just to be safe for long term storage or display. If matting is not an option I have stuck the autographs in the larger page protectors then put them into the frame to keep the autographs off the glass. For my autographed baseballs and golf balls I use UV protected ball holders like the one's BCW sell. They make these for the different types of sports balls and are a great way to store protect, and display your graphs. For cards I use penny sleeves and card size top loaders. I'm not a fan of the larger top loaders for 8x10's. The photo's slide around in them to much and that could scratch your photos or autographs. If I do use one I cut down a page protector to a size that fits inside the top loader so its just like a larger penny sleeve, then I put the autograph in that before putting it in the top loader. This keeps the pictures from sliding around and helps to prevent unwanted damages. One major thing alot of new collectors neglect to do including me when I started is to wear gloves when handling your graphs to keep dirt and oils from your hands from damaging you prized autographs. No big deal you say. Touch any glossy picture and notice the prints left behind. Maby no big deal now but years from now those oils could stain and damage the pictures or on normal paper items like index cards or pages out of autograph books you can see the darker finger prints staining the paper over time. I order cheap disposable cotton gloves off Amazon. They work perfectly for handling your collection and there inexpensive, I only paid around $5 for four pair's. So once a pair gets dirty just wash or toss them out and get a new pair. Ill add a picture below the successes so you can see exactly what we use. Protecting your collection is a never ending battle. Heat, humidity and temperature changes along with moisture, sunlight and time can all be enemies to autograph collectors everywhere but with a little effort and the proper handling your collection can survive until your relatives sell them all off long after your gone lol. Now on to this weeks successes. Monday started the week off with two returns. First another addition to our "SOAP" cast collection when we received both pictures back signed from Ted Wass. Along with with Soap he also stared in "Sheena" and some might remember him as the dad on "Blossom". A great return from an amazing actor and only a week to come back. To finish of the day an amazing VV reply from legendary film maker Francis Ford Coppola. He was doing a live show project in California last month and into this month so I decided to take a shot and write him. I sent the picture that returned and one of the poster from "Bram Stokers Dracula" but he only signed the "Dementia 13" picture, but he signed the one picture with the other under it so i got an imprint of his signature on the Dracula photo also lol. Still an amazing success from a man that's made some of the best films of my generation and only took just under a month to return. Tuesday brought a great return from John Ratzenberger. He signed my "Motel Hell" picture and one from "Toy Story" for Winter and only took three months to return. He's been in everything from "Star Wars" to staring in "Cheers" and a great addition to our collection. Wednesday brought a super cool return. After only two weeks we received both pictures and my bluray cover back signed from composer and director John Harrison who composed the music for some of my favorite horror movies. He also wrote the creepy theme for the opening credits on the old "Tales From The Darkside" show and who didn't love that show. He also directed the Dune TV movie mini series. Along with the stuff we sent he also sent Winter a nice signed thank you note and he also included two limited edition CD's that he also signed. One from "Day of the Dead" and one from "Creepshow" and he sent it all in a package and covered the postage. He even returned my SASE so I can reuse it later. Great guy and a super return. Friday brought one return from Producer, writer and director James L. Brooks. He signed our "Simpsons" movie DVD cover that he co-wrote. He also co-created the old show "Taxi" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" along with writing and directing the film "Terms of Endearment" and only took just under four months to return. That's it for this week. Have a great graphing weekend and I'll be back next week with more TTM autographs and addresses.








*
-
Ted Wass
3825 Longridge Avenue
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423-4921
-
Francis Ford Coppola
c/o "Distant Vision"
(via venue address no longer valid)
-
John Ratzenberger
167 Cherry Street
Milford, CT 06460-3466
-
John Harrison
c/o Surpin & Mayersohn
1880 Century Park East
Suite 618
Los Angeles, CA 90067
-
(Bonus signed limited edition CD's he sent)
-
James L. Brooks
c/o Gracie Films
10201 W. Pico Blvd.
Bldg. 41/42
Culver City, CA 90064
-
*
-
Cotton gloves that I use for handling my collection.
-
*








No comments:

Post a Comment